Friday, February 11, 2011

Brockton Courts Evacuated After 2nd Bomb Threat

By Lisa E. Crowley
BROCKTON—Hundreds of Brockton District and Superior Court personnel and prisoners were evacuated Thursday morning after authorities received what was a second false alarm since late last month.
“It turned out to be a false alarm, and turns out to be a prank, but because of the nature of the facility we have to take it seriously,” said Brockton Deputy Fire Chief George Phillips.
Phillips said the fire department received a call about a potential bomb in the Main Street courthouse at about 9:45 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 10. Phillips said the call came from the State Police who had received a tip, but he was not sure exactly what was said.
As in the last bomb scare Jan. 25, Brockton Superior Court on Main Street was evacuated and unlike January's incident when the threat was specific to Superior Court, Brockton District Court on Belmont Street was also evacuated.
Surrounding streets were blocked off and bomb-sniffing dogs scoured the building and found no evidence of an explosive device.
Phillips said personnel and prisoners returned to the court houses at about 11:30 a.m. after authorities gave the all clear.
In a separate, yet related matter, officials at Cardinal Spellman High School contacted Brockton Police Tuesday at about 7:33 p.m. after a custodian found a bomb threat scrawled in one of the boys’ bathrooms.
Principal Dorothy Lynch said the incident was minor and steps were taken to ensure it was not a serious threat.
She said police have investigated the matter and parents were notified about the issue through the school’s messaging system.
Because word had spread through the student population, Lynch said officials also made an announcement about the issue to students in the school.
“It was very, very minor, but steps had to be taken as a precaution,” Lynch said.
The scrawl has since been removed from the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment